Tuesday, August 2, 2011

GERONIMO!!!


I was scared to turn 24, I felt as if I was running out of time to establish myself in my field; I felt as if I needed to snatch up one of those salaries and settle, but now I see that’s the wrong mentality to have in this century. Growing up in the 90’s we were fed a certain dream…“If you go to college you’ll get a degree, get a job, and then eventually you’ll get a pension or social security.” With the shift in the economy we can no longer glorify this concept and I refuse to feed it to my little sister, and cousins. Yes, go to school and get your degree, but when you come out know that entrepreneurship is where it’s at. If you don’t believe me do your research, there are so many professionals taking low paying jobs just to have a job, which means there isn’t much opportunity for the recent grads or young professionals. Most recent grads are sitting around in this claustrophobic limbo area waiting on someone to stop backsliding and take the backseat. Some of us choose to just stay in school or get a job, that’s not really where we want to work but it pays the bills; which is fine because you have to do what you have to do, but what’s the point? Is there chance that you can move up and get where you want to go? Will there even be social security for you after you break your back for 30-40 years? Maybe I’m impatient…maybe I just want too much, but I truly believe that life must be lived with purpose. Not quite sure if I want to join the zombie take over downtown; mundane, autopilot blah blah blah. If everything we do today is for our future, how good is it looking if we’re working for a company we can’t give to our children?

As my birthday is around the corner and 25 patiently waits for me to arrive, I no longer feel the need to search for a crutch just so I can pay my student loans. Depending on the company or project I’m working on depends on my title, with “independent” preceding it. I’m happy doing something that I’m passionate about and having enough flexibility to enjoy life, and refrain from being in autopilot. I don’t need the stability of a major company to pursue my dreams, although it maybe a bit harder to attain because my success depends my efforts, and not the power of a another’s brand; but I’m ecstatic knowing that I’m working towards having my own one day! I’m blessed to be able to have phenomenal women in my life that has shown me this prosperous path through their own efforts; LaTasha Kenley, Larvetta Loftin, Denitria Lewis, and my very own mother are all entrepreneurs who I get to work with and learn from everyday. I look up to these women; they all understand the importance of adapting because times are a changing and oh does it make me smile J. If there is one thing that I have learned from all of them, it is that you can’t be afraid to open your arms wide, take that leap, and scream GERONIMO!!

Let go of the phrase “In My Day,” you will be stuck in that “Day;” as the “Day” is now the present and is no longer yours, but my generations “Day”! 

Check out Larvetta Loftin on Facebook:

LaTasha Kenley:

Denitria Lewis: 

6 comments:

  1. I totally agree. I often feel that I wasted my time and money on a degree that I was always told that I needed

    -CarmieLu

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok cleary I don't know what I am doing, I keep thinking I am posting something and I am not! lol
    Anyway, I am proud of you and I am happy that I inspire you!!! keep going and I love you sweetie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so proud of you and I am so thankful to LaTasha for recommending you to work with L3 Eventeurs. You are truly gifted and are deciding early on to work on your terms. The most important thing is to surround yourself with sisterpreneuRs who will remind you of your purpose. Sometimes it's our circltail influence that can pollute our minds to think otherwise. You are well on your way to do some amazing things. Keep shining in the work you do. Thanks Victoiria! Peace and blessings...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all for the love! @KCM, love you too! @Larvetta you are so right; glad we were able to connect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. im late but better late then never. i remember you always telling me you wanted to be your own boss. im glad you got the courage to do something about it. im happy and very proud of you!
    -Shantriece

    ReplyDelete